Work In Progress
Nostalgia Series - Final Layers
When working on several pieces at once I move from one piece to another applying paint or whatever medium I'm using at the time. It is easy to get lost in the process and forget exactly what you have done. Your artist eye looks critically at a work and you decide what it needs next. I always work with balance in mind. Something I learned from talented NZ Watercolour Artist Nancy Tichborne.
Here's an update on the finishing layers to one of the Nostalgia pieces. When last photographed it was at this stage...bright yellow.
(Sorry there's not more photographs of the different stages...it is something I need to practice).
I toned down the bright yellow with a pale yellow paint and added white highlights in some areas. A craft stamp using white paint was applied in some areas.
To add a focal point the gladioli flowers were painted on - an extension of the collaged paper.
A piece of sheet music (with words that were relevant to my theme), was then added to the top right corner to fill the space and add balance.
I then added a bit more pale yellow, magenta and green/blue paint to balance and pull the piece together. A thin layer of shellac varnish was painted over the textured area enriching the colours and adding a vintage patina.
Bright blue paint flicks were added imitating the little blue 'forget-me-not' flowers on the jug, then white paint flicks for added highlights.
I possibly could have kept adding more details to this piece but chose to stop here at this interesting place. A final layer of gloss varnish was applied to protect and give the surface a uniform appearance.
Oh and of course it needed a title......'Tender Memory'.
For me it represents special memories of my Grandmother xx
Work In Progress
Nostalgia Series -Texture
Autumn weather has arrived and with it a cold southerly front. It's a perfect time to withdraw to the studio.
My boards already have some base layers of paint applied and a few collage pieces arranged. After contemplating the collection of inspiration on my table I decided to start with some texture on my boards. The yellow china plate that I love has an organic feel to it so I decided to search my garden for leaves I could use to suggest this. I returned with plantain lily and hydrangea leaves.
I spread a layer of texture paste on the area of board where I wanted texture then pressed the lily leaf into the paste, then lifted it off. The leaf lifted off some of the paste which remained on its surface. I pressed the leaf onto another board to transfer this paste and create more texture. When the textured paste had dried I lightly sanded the surface to round off any edges.
Pictured below is the result, with a couple of layers of paint applied over the top. Still lots more layers to go until these pieces will be finished. Will post an update next week.
Hoping for some warm Autumn sun to quickly dry paint now.